RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS AND YOUNG PEOPLE
- Explore the Past with Us | Newcastle University: teaching and learning resources in history, classics and archaeology for primary, secondary, 16+ young people and adults *NEW*
- Schools Prehistory & Archaeology
Schools Prehistory is a group of archaeologists and educators with knowledge and expertise in Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age Britain. Their aim is to support teachers, museums and heritage organisations to develop excellence in this new area of the primary history curriculum.
- There are also Young Archaeologists’ Clubs (YAC) for 7-11 year olds based in Durham City and Danby, North York Moors.
- Lessons from the Middle Stone Age | teacher and pupil resources »
- Teaching the Middle Stone Age (TES) »
- Teesside Archaeological Society
- Friends of Eston Hills Facebook group
- Cleveland and Teesside Local History Society
- Hands On Middlesbrough Facebook group | Website
- Tees Archaeology
- Kirkleatham Museum
- Mid Tees Archaeological Research Project
- Council for British Archaeology | CBA Yorkshire | CBA North
- Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS)
- The Prehistoric Society | Facebook
- Tees Valley Wildlife Trust
- S. Carter 2017 | “Middlesbrough has no Archaeology”? The Unique Archaeology of Teesside | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- S. Carter 2017 | Mesolithic Research | TimeVista Archaeology website »
- G.M. Crawford 1980 | Bronze Age Burial Mounds in Cleveland | Buy for under £10 at bookfinder.com
- R. Daniels 2015 | The Mesolithic in North East Yorkshire | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- B. Finlayson1998 | Wild Harvesters: The First People of Scotland | (Historic Scotland) Buy for under £7 from Birlinn Ltd. or other vendors »
- N. Milner et al. 2013 | Star Carr: Life in Britain after the last Ice Age | (Council for British Archaeology) Out of print but library copies available
- P. Rowe 2015 | Tees Archaeology Flint Fact Sheets | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- P. Rowe 2015 | Hunting the Hunter-Gatherers: Mesolithic Teesside | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- S.J. Sherlock 2012 | Late Prehistoric Settlement in the Tees Valley and North East England | Tees Archaeology monograph 5
- M.J.B. Smith 1994 | Excavated Bronze Age Burial Mounds of North-East Yorkshire | £15+P&P from the Architectural & Archaeological Society of Durham & Northumberland
- D.A. Spratt (Editor) 1993 | Prehistoric and Roman Archaeology of North-East Yorkshire | CBA Research Report 87 updated to 1990 | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- B.E. Vyner 1991 | Bronze Age Activity on the Eston Hills, Cleveland | Yorkshire Archaeological Journal 63 | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- M. Waughman 2017 | Hunter-Gatherers in an Upland Landscape: The Mesolithic Period in North East Yorkshire. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal 89: 1–22 | DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/00844276.2017.1333333 »
- Regional Archaeological Research and Resource Frameworks England | Multi-period, ALGAO portal to UK regional publications which give good and extensive overviews of known assets, historical context and priorities. Each includes a useful bibliography. They are a little dated, but undergoing reviews, and still extremely useful.
- North-East Regional Research Framework for the Historic Environment: Revision Project 2017-18 (NERRF II)
- Mesolithic Research and Conservation Framework for England (University of York 2014 hosted by ADS).
- Introduction to Standards and Guidance in Archaeological Practice | ISGAP includes standard procedures for community archaeology projects, developed in association with Historic England, the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists and the Council for British Archaeology.